There are so many coffee makers available in the market. In fact, choosing the right one can be challenging as there are so many features that you need to consider when buying the most suitable coffee maker for your needs. As there are a plethora of coffee makers in the market, we will be focusing on the most popular coffeemakers in the market – the Keurig brand. This modern and sophisticated coffeemaker will not only make you a great cup of Joe every morning but will also look stylish on top of your kitchen counter. As there are so many brands of the Keurig coffeemakers, we will focus on the Keurig K55 and the Keurig K250. This review will evaluate which one is best for you. So, let’s get down to business.
The Keurig K55 is part of the Keurig 1.0 line but it does not mean that it is an outdated version of other Keurig coffee makers. What we like about Keurig K55 is that it works just the same in making your favorite brew any time of the day. Its selling point is its relatively large water reservoir. It can hold 48 ounces of water, so you can make multiple cups of coffee and you can also adjust the size of the cup from 6-, 8-, and 10- ounce sizes.
Just like the other Keurig coffeemakers, it runs on the patented K-cup Brewing system. As expected with this system, clean up and maintenance of this coffeemaker is easy. It comes with a removable drip tray for easy cleaning. The K-cup holder is dishwasher-friendly, and it does not need to be rinsed regularly because the grinds never come directly in contact with the holder.
But since it uses K-cups, it adds to the expense of using this coffeemaker since the cost per cup is high. The good thing with the K55 is that you have the option to use ground coffee as long as you buy the reusable K-cup.
- The sizing of the coffeemaker is 9.8 x 13 x 13.3 inches wide.
- It can brew coffee at 6-, 8-, and 10- ounces allowing you to make different volumes of coffee at one time.
- Buttons and controls are found on the front panel of the coffeemaker.
- Has a large water reservoir that can hold 48 ounces of water thus allowing you to make multiple cups of coffee.
- Has the auto-off setting thus it automatically turns off when the coffeemaker is no longer in use.
- It comes with a removable drip tray that can easily be cleaned.
- Compatible with unlicensed K-cups, Keurig 2.0 K-cups, and Keurig 1.0 reusable My K-cup.
- Own coffee grounds can be used as long as you use the reusable K-cup.
- Allows you to make more cups of coffee in the morning
- Convenient as you don’t need to stay beside your coffeemaker to turn it off as it automatically shuts down
- Offers more variety as you can use your own blend of coffee grounds especially if you don’t want to buy K-cups
- Maintenance is simple and easy
- Does not come with a water filter starter kit
- No temperature control
- No coffee strength control
The Keurig K55 makes coffee quickly. It heats up water and dispenses it in 90 seconds that is somehow slower than other single-cup coffeemakers but still faster than conventional brewers. With its large water reservoir, you can make multiple cups of coffee and adjust the brew size with just a few touches on the button.
It also comes with an automatic shut-off that you can program for as long as two hours. So, if you need to drink a cup of coffee every hour, this feature allows you to have a ready cup of coffee the moment you need them.
Although it can make you a decent cup of coffee, the K55 falls short when it comes to strength control. As the K55 does not come with strength control, you will never be able to make a stronger cup of coffee but if you are not a coffee connoisseur, then this feature is something that you can forgo.
The Keurig K250 is one of the models that belong to the Keurig 2.0 line. Some would say that it is a better version of the model from the Keurig 1.0 line, but we think in neutrality. Because it belongs to the Keurig 2.0 line, it has several features that are simply absent in the K55. This coffeemaker has a smaller water reservoir of only 40 ounces, but it can make varied brew sizes from 4 ounces to 30 ounces with 2 ounces increments. This allows you to customize your morning cup.
The K250 comes with all the modern features thus making it sophisticated. It comes with a digital LCD display so that you can easily control your coffeemaker. It comes with strength control so that you can customize how strong you would like your coffee. It also features other nifty features such as the high altitude setting so you can still make perfect coffee even if you live in a high place. While it has more features than the K55, it does not have the auto-off feature, so you have to manually shut it off once you’re done making coffee.
- Varied brew sizes from 4 ounces to 30 ounces so that you can customize your coffee experience
- The water reservoir can hold only up to 40 ounces of water
- Comes with water filter starter kit
- It has a digital LCD display for intuitive control
- Customize how strong you want your coffee with the strength control setting
- Has high altitude setting so that it can still make perfect coffee even those located in high places
- The sizing of the coffeemaker is 8.9 x 13.4 x 13.6 inches wide
- Varied brew sizes available so that you can have less or more coffee in your cup
- Compatible with Keurig 2.0 K-cups, K-mug, K-Vue, K-Carafe pods, and Keurig 2.0 reusable My K-cup thus you have varied options for coffee drinking
- It allows you to use your own coffee grounds as long as you use the reusable K-cups
- Allows you to control the strength of your coffee
- Comes with high altitude setting
- Has smaller water reservoir capacity
- No auto-off feature
The Keurig K250 can also help you make coffee just as quickly as the K50. Although it has a smaller water reservoir, you can still make a decent amount of coffee.
The digital controls provided by the digital LCD also make it easier to control the K250. This allows you to control the strength of your coffee. What the K250 offers is variety and customization so that you can enjoy more cups of coffee with this coffee maker. The caveat, however, is that it has a smaller water reservoir and does not have an auto-off feature, so you have to really be beside the coffeemaker because it does not shut down by itself.
Difference Between Keurig K55 and K250
The Keurig K55 and K250 came from the same brand and although they came from a different line, they do have major similarities. Let’s take a closer look.
- Allows you to use your own coffee grounds especially if you don’t want to spend too much money on K-cups
- Both are compatible with most of the K-cups, so you have more varied options when brewing your coffee
- Sleek and sophisticated design perfect for all modern kitchen
- Comes with varying brew sizes
- K250 has more modern features such as LCD Display, Strength Control, and High-Altitude Control
- K55 has the auto-off feature
Side by Side Comparison of the Keurig K50 vs. K250
The best way to compare the two coffee makers is to see their qualities and features side by side in a table. Doing so will help you get a quick overview of the various advantages and disadvantages of each Keurig coffee maker that will fit your needs and preferences. And so here is the detailed comparison of the specs of the two Keurig coffee makers.
|Parameters||Keurig K55||Keurig K250|
|Product Line||Keurig 1.0||Keurig 2.0|
|K-cup compatibility||Unlicensed K-cups,
Keurig 2.0 licensed K-cups,
Keurig 1.0 reusable My K-cup
|Keurig 2.0 K-cups,
K-mug, K-Vue, K-Carafe pods,
Keurig 2.0 reusable My K-Cup
|Brew Sizes||6 oz., 8 oz., 10 oz.||4 oz., 6 oz., 8 oz., 10 oz., 12 oz.,
14 oz., 16 oz., 22 oz., 26 oz., 30 oz.
|Water Reservoir||48 oz.||40 oz.|
|Comes with water filter starter kit||No||Yes|
|Digital LCD Display||No||Yes|
|Dimension||9.8” W x 13” D x 13.3” H||8.9”W x 13.4” D x 13.6” H|
|Available Colors||Blue, white, rhubarb, black||Black, red, violet, turquoise, white|
|Use your own coffee grounds?||Yes||Yes|
|High altitude setting||No||Yes|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
Unboxing both the Keurig K55 and Keurig K250 immediately gives you an idea which coffee maker has which features. Although both coffee makers look equally sophisticated, there are stark differences that you will immediately notice. For one, the Keurig K250 is more compact than the K50. But you have to take note that the size or dimension is not the only thing that should be considered when buying either of the two Keurig models.
Buyer’s Guide for Keurig K55 and K250
Now that you know the specific differences between the Keurig K55 and Keurig K250, you may believe that this review is more partial towards the K250. But this can be farther from the truth. Although both can function in making good and strong brew by demand, your buying decision still depends largely on your preferences.
It is important to note that there are some factors that will not affect your buying decision. This means that the design of the two Keurig coffee makers will not affect your buying decision because both look the same. You will have to weigh in your decisions largely on the performance of the two coffee makers.
Which among the two can hold more liquid?
If you want to make larger batches of coffee, your best option is to get the Keurig K55, but your options are limited to only 10-ounces per cup. So, if you are a coffee addict like everyone else, it will benefit you more to get the Keurig K250 as it can make a maximum of 30-ounces per cup. Although the difference between the capacity is not really that significant because if you run out of the water, you can just refill the reservoir.
Which coffee maker has an automatic turn-off feature for busy people?
On the other hand, if you are a busy person and you don’t have time to stay beside your coffee maker to turn it off, the automatic off feature of the Keurig K55 is very advantageous because you can leave the machine as it makes coffee and it will automatically turn off.
Which has more modern features?
While the K50 only has buttons on its front panel, the K250 offers more. The K250 comes with a black and white LCD touchscreen display that you can use to choose whatever preferences that you want. The digital controls of the K250 beat analog controls and so for this aspect, our vote goes to the Keurig K250.
Which machine can give me more brew options?
Thing is the Keurig K55 has basic features and if you are a straightforward individual who likes your coffee simple, then this coffee maker is perfect for you. If you are more into a bit complicated touchscreen, more brew options, and you would like to have better coffee experience, then the Keurig K250 is your best option.
I live in a place that is a hundred meters above sea level, which coffeemaker suits me?
Making coffee at a high altitude changes the boiling point of the brew. Between the two Keurig coffee makers, the K250 has this setting allowing you to program the coffee making process as needed. This feature is great especially if you are bringing it to a place high on the mountains–a mountain cabin, maybe.
So which Keurig coffee maker performs better than the others? The answer can be very subjective.
Although you might think that the Keurig K250 surpasses the Keurig K55, we cannot really say which ones make the best coffee. Apparently, making great cups of coffee can be subjective and both coffee makers can give you just that.
So, here’s a take-home message that we would like to share with you to help you with your buying decision. The Keurig K55 is a basic model that allows you to brew simple Keurig K-cups—giving you no other options.
If it is simple coffee that you want, then go for Keurig K55. The Keurig K250 has more advanced features and functionality and these features work well for people who are in the advanced levels, in terms of being coffee connoisseurs.