Are you struggling to find the best microwave oven?
One of the most brilliant inventions of our century is the microwave oven. It is one of the special kinds of equipment that has solved numerous problems of our generation. A tool that lets you heat food quickly without much hassle, the microwave oven is a must-have in the kitchen.
Many young folks in today’s time do not have the time or even the knowledge to cook food quickly on the stove. This invention has saved them in several situations and made their life easy.
As more and more brands have started to enter the market and manufacture microwave ovens, it is necessary to understand which microwave ovens are better than the others.
- 1 How does a microwave oven work?
- 2 What are the different types of microwave ovens?
- 3 How to choose a Microwave Oven?
- 4 Let’s look at the Specs of each
- 5 Top 5 Microwave Ovens 2019 (Reviews & Rate)
- 6 Q&A:
How does a microwave oven work?
A microwave oven is very easy to understand and handle whenever you need to warm your food.
When you buy a microwave oven, you just have to plug it in the electrical switch and you are good to go. There are no complicated procedures. Once the microwave oven is plugged in, you need to read the manual of instructions.
The different buttons start different functions. You can also set the time after which the microwave oven shuts down automatically. This is called the timer. If you are heating a chicken piece, the timer has to be a little longer than if you are heating a cup of milk.
The instruction manual will help you determine the exact time so you do not have to worry about that.
What are the different types of microwave ovens?
Solo microwave oven
A solo microwave oven is one of the most available types of ovens in the market. It does the job of simply heating your food perfectly.
If you want to heat up the leftovers which are lying in the refrigerator you do not have to go through any trouble at all. Just use the solo microwave oven and it will heat up the food in very less time. This type of oven is widely available and used all around the world.
It is cheap compared to the other types and comes in various sizes. For a large family, a big size solo microwave oven is suitable.
- You may also like: Shit on a Shingle Recipe
Grill microwave oven
As the name suggests, a grill microwave oven is used for more things than just heating food. A grill microwave oven can be used for grilling food, which you normally would do on a grilling machine.
The idea is the same as the solo microwave and the structure of the microwave is also the same as that of the other types. Usually, you just have to know how long you need to put the food that you want to grill in the microwave. This can be understood using the instructions manual.
Convection microwave oven
Convection microwave ovens use convection currents to heat and cook food. The form of food they cook is called baking.
When you want to bake food in a microwave oven you cannot use the solo or the grill oven. You have to get this new form because it is automatically built with the latest features needed to bake the food.
The principle used in this oven is that the heat is increased and the current flows in the form of convections. This allows the heat to be distributed evenly throughout the food. A convection microwave oven is often more expensive because of its properties.
- Read More: Air Fryer vs. Convection Oven Comparison
How to choose a Microwave Oven?
Choosing a microwave oven can be difficult if you have no prior knowledge about the factors that determine the overall workings of the microwave.
Here is a list of things you should consider before you go to the market to buy a microwave oven:
The power element in the microwave oven is basically the speed with which your food can be cooked or heated. This depends entirely on you but generally, we all want our food to be cooked quickly and efficiently.
A good microwave is one which has a higher power. Wattage is the key to understanding this whole process.
When you are buying an oven, always check the wattage. It is written on the backside or you can ask it from the shopkeeper.
A higher wattage oven cooks food more evenly. A lower wattage oven does not only take time in cooking, but it also heats one area more than the other.
The heating rate in a microwave oven is the amount of heat required to heat a certain food item. This is not related to the time but to the temperature of the microwave.
A good microwave oven will have a various range of temperatures and heating rates. Depending on the type and amount of food you need to cook, you can set the heat limit accordingly.
If you need a microwave for a commercial setting, the heating rate should be less. If you need a microwave for a home setting, the heating rate can be more as there is not much issue with the time it takes.
In different microwaves, the plate that is basically the heating area has to be of the desired size. The bigger plates allow for more heating area and the smaller plates allow for less heating areas.
If you choose a microwave with a big heated area the size of the microwave will increase as well. You must be sure you have enough space to keep the microwave properly before you buy it.
A small heated area also does the job perfectly. Especially if your needs are simple and you do not have a lot of use for the microwave, it is better to save money and use it in the right place.
Appearance and style
Whenever you go out shopping, no matter what you are buying, the look matters.
- Your kitchen is a safe haven where you want things to be stylish and well organized. The appearance and style of a microwave oven play a huge role in how your kitchen will appear to a stranger.
- Good microwave ovens come in different colors. They also come in different sizes. The buttons on the ovens are written in different fonts and styles. The brands have their own specialty and uniqueness.
- You must go and check all the different types available before settling for one. Once you have seen the variety, it is easier to make a decision.
Many times the external size of a microwave oven is very big but the internal size is actually not that huge. The capacity refers to the internal size of the microwave oven. This is where you keep your food to be warmed or cooked.
Depending on your need, you have to see the capacity that suits you best. The internal capacity of a microwave can array from less than 1 cubic foot to over 2 cubic feet.
This information is mostly provided on the box of the oven. Read it thoroughly. Your dishes must fit inside the oven for it to work properly.
Let’s look at the Specs of each
|Panasonic NN-SN936B||1.6/2.2 CuFt||1250||White/Black|
|GE JVM3160RFSS||1.6 CuFt||1000||Stainless Steel|
|HomeLabs 1050||1.3 CuFt||1050||Black|
|Toshiba EM925A5A-BS||0.9 CuFt||900||Black/Stainless|
|LG LCRT2010ST||2 CuFt||1200||Stainless|
Top 5 Microwave Ovens 2019 (Reviews & Rate)
We have compiled a list of the top 5 microwave ovens for the year 2019. The reviews and ratings given below are brought together after a lot of research.
We understand that the investment in a microwave oven is not to be taken lightly at any cost. This list will help you as it caters to the majority public.
Panasonic NN-SN936B – Best countertop microwave
The Panasonic microwave oven is the best microwave ovens available in the market right now. It has been delivering high-quality products for over several decades. Their focus has been on kitchen appliances, which make them the best countertop microwave company.
- This model provides a faster cooking time with more than 1250 watts of power. This means that your food will be cooked evenly and in very less time.
- The technology used focuses on providing an even stream of cooking power. The defrosting time is much less for this oven with a large capacity for storing food.
- The oven also uses automatic adjustment of heat and time when you put in the food you want to heat or cook.
- No prior knowledge needed in cooking food as there are 9 pre-set menus available.
- Power consumption is only 1460 Watts and hence uses less electricity for cooking.
- Black color makes the appearance very pleasing to the eye.
- Even distribution of heat on all sides of the cooking plate.
- The cooking plate is non-stick and very durable.
- The size of the microwave oven is not big enough to cater to the large food items which you want to cook.
GE JVM3160RFSS – Best Over-the-Range microwave
The GE microwave oven is a game changer. It came into the market when there were very few defrosting and cooking ovens available. It brought about a big change as people can do all they desire with this model of the microwave oven.
It is the best over the range microwave because it is compatible with many if not all types of devices.
- The oven is also very convenient for people who do not know much about cooking and need help every step of the way.
- Also, the automatic system installed in the microwave oven is excellent to control the conditions as you want them.
- Moreover, the best thing about the oven is that I have an excellent venting system that prevents any heat from gathering in one place.
- An automatic defrosting system which judges the amount and time of heat needed.
- The large size of the heating plate because it is also used for cooking meals.
- The cooking controls are convenient and can be used by anyone.
- The venting system installed is top notch and highly recommended for home use.
- It is available in two different colors.
- The multi-tasking option makes the microwave oven an all-rounder which means that it is not excellent in any one function.
HomeLabs 1050 – Best microwave under 100
A must-have for those people who want something technical yet easy to understand. The HomeLabs microwave oven is a very good microwave that comes under the 100 range.
- It can be used to make proper food like pizzas and popcorns because the size of the plate of this oven is huge.
- No matter the size of the pizza you want, you just need to set the limit of the temperature and it is cooked in sufficient time.
- This microwave oven also comes with accessories which you might have to buy separately with the other ovens. The glass plate and the turntable are both very useful for baking and grilling purposes.
- The different sizes available can be used for small kitchens or large spaces.
- Quick buttons allow it to change settings within a few minutes.
- The automatic settings of defrosting and cooking meals are very helpful for new cooking comers.
- The outer is made of stainless steel which is easily cleaned.
- Because of the big size and the large capacity of the oven, the weight is a bit more than the others which makes it difficult to carry and shift around.
Toshiba EM925A5A-BS is the Compact choice
The Toshiba microwave oven is a choice for those people who want a compact oven. This is the most efficient oven and has a sound system attached to it.
- Whenever you are cooking food you just have to keep an ear out for the sound of the food being made. When it is cooked, you will know.
- The compact size allows it to be transferred easily to any room without much hassle. The size is big enough to cook and make meals warm but not huge enough to make it difficult to lift.
- The digital control panel comes with a LED screen which is easy to read and understand no matter if you wear spectacles.
- This model comes with a child safety lock which is very useful if you have kids at home.
- The sound on and off button helps to keep a check on the food without having to stand near the microwave.
- The power saving mode turns directly on when the microwave is left on without being used.
- The six pre-programmed cooking instructions are good for people who do not have time to check on their food again and again.
- It is a pricey model and should only be bought if it is to be used for a long term.
LG LCRT2010ST is easy to clean
The LG LCRT2010ST is the best microwave oven which is easy to maintain and clean in the market.
Working mothers who do not have enough time to clean should look into this oven because it will make their life easier. The oven also comes with easy to understand instructions and the oven does all the calculations for you.
- You just have to plug it is and set it to the food you are cooking.
- The new technology used in this oven senses the humidity and hence sets the heat accordingly.
- The turntable is effective and the child lock is a blessing for people who cannot be present all the time.
- The round cavity function allows for perfectly cleaning from the outside and inside and around the edges.
- The turntable is big and accommodates big plates and dishes easily.
- No need to use chemicals to clean the microwave oven. The inbuilt cleaning technology is good for maintaining the oven.
- Optimal heating performance because of the sensors installed in the interior.
- The model is a bit expensive and cannot be bought by just everyone.
Will I be able to clean this microwave easily?
All the microwave options will wipe clean easily, even if you have any hard stains like sauce that splatters.
Are there color options to choose from for each microwave?
Yes, the microwaves vary in choices, but you can get either black or white, and even stainless steel (for the Danby Designer model.)
Is 700W enough to defrost my food evenly?
If you’re looking to defrost food and get quick, evenly cooked items, you should consider getting something that is at least 900-1000W. Anything else will not be the best use of time.
What is a convection microwave?
A convection microwave heats food evenly and thoroughly, so that it takes less time to cook your food in a more efficient manner.
What is the first thing I should consider when deciding which microwave to buy?
You should have a good idea of the size and power level of the microwave. There are certain things that cannot be compromised, and those are two factors that are usually most important.